Are you a TOP GUN in NavRules?You think you're ready for the NavRules test? Take the NavRules Challenge and find out!!
1. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND According to the Navigation Rules, you may depart from the Rules when __________.
you do so to avoid immediate danger
no vessels are visible on radar
you are in a close quarters situation
out of sight of land
2. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A power-driven vessel is underway in fog but stopped and making no way through the water. What is the required fog signal?
One prolonged blast at not more than one-minute intervals
Two prolonged blasts at not more than one-minute intervals
One prolonged blast at not more than two-minute intervals
Two prolonged blasts at not more than two-minute intervals
3. INTERNATIONAL ONLY A light used to signal passing intentions must be an __________.
all-round white or yellow light
all-round yellow light only
all-round white light only
Any colored light is acceptable.
4. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND The steering and sailing rules for vessels in restricted visibility apply to vessels __________.
in sight of one another in fog
navigating in or near an area of restricted visibility
only if they are showing special purpose lights
only if they have operational radar
5. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel is being propelled both by sail and by engines. Under the Rules, the vessel is __________.
a "special circumstance" vessel
not covered under any category
a sail vessel
a power-driven vessel
6. INLAND ONLY You are in charge of a power-driven vessel crossing a river on the Western Rivers. You must keep out of the way of a __________.
sail vessel descending the river
power-driven vessel ascending the river
sail vessel ascending the river
All of the above
7. INTERNATIONAL ONLY If at night a vessel displays three all-round red lights in a vertical line, during the day she may show __________.
two cones, base to base
three black balls in a vertical line
a cone, apex downward
8. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel being towed will show __________.
a forward masthead light
sidelights and a sternlight
a towing light
All of the above
9. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND The white masthead light required for a power-driven vessel under the Rules is visible over how many degrees of the horizon?
10. INLAND ONLY Maneuvering signals shall be sounded on inland waters by __________.
all vessels when meeting, crossing, or overtaking and in sight of one another
all vessels meeting or crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other and not in sight of one another
power-driven vessels overtaking and in sight of one another
power-driven vessels crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other and NOT in sight of one another