Are you a TOP GUN in NavRules?You think you're ready for the NavRules test? Take the NavRules Challenge and find out!!
1. INTERNATIONAL ONLY Which statement(s) is(are) TRUE concerning light signals?
The time between flashes shall be about five seconds.
The time between successive signals shall be not less than ten seconds.
The light signals are to be used when not using sound signals.
All of the above
2. INLAND ONLY Which light display would mark the opening in a pipeline where vessels could pass through?
Three red lights in a vertical line on each side of the opening
Two red lights in a vertical line on each side of the opening
Three white lights in a vertical line on each side of the opening
Two white lights in a vertical line on each side of the opening
3. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel hearing a fog signal forward of her beam has not determined if risk of collision exists. She shall reduce speed to __________.
4. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND In determining "safe speed", the Rules list all of the following as factors which must be taken into account EXCEPT the __________.
limitations of radar equipment
presence of background lights at night
maximum horsepower of your vessel
maneuverability of your vessel
5. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel may exhibit lights other than those prescribed by the Rules as long as the additional lights __________.
do not interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out
do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of the prescribed lights
cannot be mistaken for the lights specified elsewhere in the Rules
All of the above
6. INLAND ONLY What is not contained in the Inland Navigation Rules?
An inconspicuous, partly submerged object
Lights on pipelines
A vessel constrained by her draft
An air-cushion vessel
7. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND What dayshape must be shown by a vessel over 20 meters fishing which has gear extending more than 150 meters horizontally outward from it?
One black ball
One diamond shape
One cone with its apex upwards
8. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND You are the stand-on vessel in a crossing situation. If you think the give-way vessel is NOT taking sufficient action to avoid collision, you should sound __________.
one short blast and maintain course
five short and rapid blasts
no signal and maneuver at will
two short blasts, alter to port, and pass astern
9. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND In addition to sidelights what light should a vessel being towed astern show?
A masthead light
Not under command lights
10. INLAND ONLY A single vessel being towed alongside shall exhibit __________.
one all-round white light
sidelights, stern light and a special flashing light
only the outboard sidelight and a stern light
a masthead light, sidelights, and a stern light