Are you a TOP GUN in NavRules?You think you're ready for the NavRules test? Take the NavRules Challenge and find out!!
1. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A sailing vessel underway at night MAY show __________.
a green light over a red light
a red light over a white light
two white lights at the stern
None of the above
2. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND What signal indicates doubt that sufficient action is being taken by another vessel to avoid collision?
Five short and rapid blasts of the whistle
Three long blasts of the whistle
Three short and rapid blasts of the whistle
One prolonged blast followed by three short blasts of the whistle
3. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND You are crossing a narrow channel in a 15-meter vessel when you sight a tankship off your port bow coming up the channel. Which statement is TRUE?
Yours is the give-way vessel because it is less than 30 meters long.
You shall not impede the safe passage of the tankship.
The tankship is the stand-on vessel because it is to port of your vessel.
The tankship is the stand-on vessel because it is the larger of the two vessels.
4. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND You are approaching another vessel. She is about one mile distant and is on your starboard bow. You believe she will cross ahead of you. She then sounds a whistle signal of five short blasts. You should __________.
answer the signal and hold course and speed
reduce speed slightly to make sure she will have room to pass
make a large course change, and slow down if necessary
wait for another whistle signal from the other vessel
5. INLAND ONLY Passing signals shall be sounded on inland waters by __________.
all vessels upon sighting another vessel rounding a bend in the channel
towing vessel when meeting another towing vessel on a clear day with a 0.6 mile CPA (Closest Point of Approach)
a power-driven vessel when crossing less than half a mile ahead of another power-driven vessel
All of the above
6. INLAND ONLY In a narrow channel, a power-driven vessel desiring to overtake another power-driven vessel on the other vessel's starboard side will sound a whistle signal of __________.
one short blast
two short blasts
two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast
two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts
7. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A power-driven vessel with a 150-meter stern tow shall display __________.
three masthead lights in a vertical line
a towing light above the sternlight
two towing lights in a vertical line
a red light over a white light at the masthead
8. INTERNATIONAL ONLY A vessel displaying three red lights in a vertical line is __________.
not under command
constrained by her draft
9. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND When underway in a channel, you should keep to the __________.
middle of the channel
starboard side of the channel
port side of the channel
side of the channel that has the widest turns
10. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND For the purpose of the Rules, except where otherwise required, the term __________.
"vessel" includes seaplanes
"seaplane" includes nondisplacement craft
"vessel engaged in fishing" includes a vessel fishing with trolling lines
"vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" includes fishing vessels