Are you a TOP GUN in NavRules?You think you're ready for the NavRules test? Take the NavRules Challenge and find out!!
1. INTERNATIONAL ONLY A vessel not under command sounds the same fog signal as a vessel __________.
constrained by her draft
All of the above
2. INLAND ONLY Which statement is TRUE concerning the fog signal of a vessel 15 meters in length anchored in a "special anchorage area" approved by the Secretary of Transportation?
The vessel is not required to sound a fog signal.
The vessel shall ring a bell for 5 seconds every minute.
The vessel shall sound one blast of the foghorn every 2 minutes.
The vessel shall sound three blasts on the whistle every 2 minutes.
3. INLAND ONLY You are proceeding up a channel in Chesapeake Bay and are meeting an outbound vessel. There is no current. You MUST __________.
keep to that side of the channel which is on your vessel's port side
stop your vessel, letting the outbound vessel sound the signals for meeting and passing
propose or answer one- or two-blast whistle signals given by the other vessel if passing within 1/2 mile
give the outbound vessel the right-of-way
4. INLAND ONLY Which lights are required for a barge, not part of a composite unit, being pushed ahead?
Sidelights and a sternlight
Sidelights, a special flashing light, and a sternlight
Sidelights and a special flashing light
Sidelights, a towing light, and a sternlight
5. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND In addition to sidelights what light should a vessel being towed astern show?
A masthead light
Not under command lights
6. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel towing where the tow prevents her from changing course shall carry __________.
only the lights for a vessel towing
only the lights for a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver
the lights for a towing vessel and the lights for a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver
the lights for a towing vessel and the lights for a vessel not under command
7. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver shall __________.
turn off her sidelights when not making way
when operating in restricted visibility, sound a whistle signal of two prolonged and one short blast
show a dayshape of two diamonds in a vertical line
keep out of the way of a vessel engaged in fishing
8. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Which statement is TRUE concerning the light used with whistle signals?
Use of such a light is required.
The light shall have the same characteristics as a masthead light.
It is only used to supplement short blasts of the whistle.
All of the above
9. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND The minimum length of a power-driven vessel that must show forward and after masthead lights is __________.
10. BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND What determines if a vessel is "restricted in her ability to maneuver"?
Whether or not all of the vessel's control equipment is in working order
The vessel's draft in relation to the available depth of water
Whether the vessel is operating in a narrow channel
The nature of the vessel's work, limiting maneuverability required by the Rules